Friday, September 25, 2009

Learning so much

So it occured to me this week that Amanda is the closest person that I have ever lost. I have been around for the death of a couple of great grandparents, but I was so young it didn't effect me that much. This has been an educational experience for me. After having had a couple of psychology classes I have found myself analyzing the different stages of grief. So far I have not had the acceptance stage yet - someday I will get there.

I am soo grateful for the positive aspects of this whole experience. I have learned how important friends are to me. I have been so grateful to those that have been there for me recently. I am particularly grateful to Allyson for notifying me; it is nice just to know what is going on. I am grateful to Levin's mom, Thelma, who has been so willing to talk and to keep us up to date and involved with Levin's recovery. I have learned how much it helps when people offer condolensces and make themselves available to talk. It is such a blessing to be able to "mourn with those that mourn". I now have a better idea of how to help people in the future when they may have lost a loved one.

I have learned a lot about prayer. This may sound horrible, but I never understood the idea of praying for others. It always seemed to me that the Lord would comfort someone in need wether one person prayed for them or 500 people prayed for them. And the Lords will, will be done regardless of what we prayed for so I have always been focused on praying for the willingness to accept the Lords will. Now that we are praying for Levin everyday I am learning that the prayers for him comfort me. Of course the Holy Spirit would be the best comfort for him right now, but maybe my prayers are a way of sending my love and comfort to him as well. Perhaps us praying for him isn't just that the Lord will send His comfort, but more a way for the Lord to offer our Love and comfort to those that we pray for.

What do you think?

No comments: